The Games and Learning Alliance conference (GALA) is an international conference dedicated to the science and application of serious games. The conference aims at bringing together researchers, developers, practitioners and stakeholders. The goal is to share the state of the art of research and market, analyzing the most significant trends and discussing visions on the future of serious games.
In 2019, the GALA conference will be held in Athens, Greece. Athens is the largest city of Greece, a metropolis of 4 million people and a capital of cultural output in Greece and the Balkans. Athens is a lively city throughout the year, well served by an international airport with a plethora of affordable options for direct flights from most large cities in Europe. Inhabited for over 5 millenia, Athens has a rich history with landmarks and archeological sites scattered throughout the city, but also a vibrant contemporary art scene and nightlife.
Athens is also home to a growing community of small to medium-scale game studios and indie/student game developers. A number of Athens-based educational institutions have programs revolving around game development, oriented towards research output and vocational skills. Moreover, universities and educational venues have been involved in a number of EU-funded (FP7, H2020, Erasmus+) projects targeting game-based learning applications. Finally, Athens-based non-governmental organizations have started to develop serious games, participating in fora and mingling with the local game developer community.
Τhroughout the last 10 years, there have been a number of initiatives to incentivize the game developer community, such as the Athens Game Festival where game studios, indie or student developers, and educational institutions from all over Greece can exhibit their work, network with business-people, and share their passion for games with the general public. With the extensive experience of the organizational team in exhibitions and interaction with industry, GALA 2019 will include an exhibition, where developers can showcase their latest products and interact with local developers and businesses.
More information will be made available throughout 2019.
- Paper submissions due: 14 June 2019
- Accepted papers decided: 19 august 2019
- Camera-ready papers due: 13 September 2019
- Competition entries due: 20 September 2019
- GALA Conference: 27-29 November 2019
- General Chair: Antonios Liapis (University of Malta, Malta)
- Program Chairs: Georgios N. Yannakakis (University of Malta, Malta), Manuel Ninaus (Leibniz-Institut fuer Wissensmedien, Germany)
- Exhibition Chair: Elina Roinioti (Panteion University, Athens)
- Competition Chair: Iza Marfisi-Schottman (Univ. Le Mans, France)
- Tutorial & Keynote Chair: Jannicke Baalsrud Hauge (BIBA, Germany/ KTH, Sweden)
- Publication Chair: Riccardo Berta (University of Genoa, Italia)
- Administrative & Financial Chair: Francesco Bellotti (University of Genoa, Italia)
- Publicity Chair: David Melhart (University of Malta, Malta)
- Local Chair: Iro Voulgari (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens)